úterý 21. října 2014

Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview

During all the years that I've been working in recruitment I worked for 2 agencies and few global organizations, I've seen plenty of job candidates sabotage themselves during interviews.

During my current job search I am trying to avoid these things, so I was trying to remember these things that I need to avoid and I create this list, I hope you like it.

Some job hunters still do speak before they think. So don't take yourself out of the competition by saying one of these job-interview killers:

Sorry I'm late.

If you are late, don’t even mention this if you don’t have any important reason like saving child, catch the thief etc. It goes without saying that punctuality is key. Your interviewer doesn't want you to arrive for work 15 minutes late every morning. So please don’t do that.

What does your company do?

During personal interview recruiter are asking things like “What do you know about our company?” So do your research before the interview, don’t show recruiters and/or hiring managers that you don’t care at all.

The salary

Never discuss the salary unless and until you are asked about it. Some people are starting with the salary and perks and basically for them this is end of the interview.

My last boss was a real jerk, an idiot or anything else disparaging.

For me personally, this is the worst thing you can do. Yes, I did that once and I am pretty sure, that I didn’t get a job and the only reason was this. So don’t complain about your last job or your boss. This only reflects badly on you. Nobody cares if you're telling the truth; it makes you look like a complainer. Put yourself on the recruiter role and ask yourself “Is this person you would like to hire, so when you left your company he will talk about you on the same way” Exactly this is the type of person no one wants to work with. It's great to talk about challenges you faced, but the focus should be on the positive results you achieved.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

When asked, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" never say, "Doing your job." It's pretty common question, but answer “Doing your job” is NOT funny and threatening the interviewer's job is not the right way of showing that you are the right person for this job.

Sick days

Don’t ask questions like “Can you tell me what your annual leave and sickness policy is?”

For 99% recruiter’s you will look like somebody who is planning absence from the company before you've even been hired.

I really need this job!

Don't give any indication of desperation. I heard this many times. But employers may view desperation as a sign of weakness and they will always be looking for somebody who is looking for career and not only to get a job.

Private information

One of the biggest mistakes that people commit in an interview is giving out private information. This information are not important. So don’t share too much.

You look great… You have nice T-shirt…

Avoid any comments that could be interpreted as flirtatious no matter how stunning your interviewer appears. This is not going to help you at all.

Don’t say you were fired

Golden rule is “Never lie in a job interview”. There is always a way how you can explain that you were fired. You can mention that you find new job more challenging or you have different ideas about the project and you don’t want to cause any problems in team etc. Or I wasn’t a good fit at my last job but I learned a lot about my skills and abilities.

You'll regret it if you don't hire me

If you mention during the interview or send the email with something like that you are not going to be hired now or anywhere in future. You basically just killed your chance forever. This overconfidence/rudeness is a real turn off to employers.

I don't have any questions for you.

When asked if you have any questions for them, don't say just NO. Try to have 2-3 questions so you will look like somebody who cares and not somebody who basically don’t care at all.

Don’t Cry
Yes, this looks like really strange, but I attended lots of interviews when the candidate starts crying for various reasons (stress, not working for a long time, desperately need a job...etc.) Employers look for people who can handle high-pressure situations, and crying is a sign that you can’t handle the stress.


Remember that a job interview is an opportunity to sell yourself to a prospective employer. And you never know if this recruiter or hiring manager won’t be in other company when you are going to be looking for a job nextime.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat